If you have a faulty appliance in your home it could lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and without any warning. Try to remember the six major symptoms to watch out for.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance created by the inefficient burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas. This occurs when a gas appliance has been badly fitted, poorly repaired or has not maintained properly. If flues, chimneys or vents are blocked, it can also occur. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can all create carbon monoxide.
What is Carbon Monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when even a small amount of the gas is breathed in. When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it finds its way into your blood stream and stops your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells can start to die. Lower levels that do not kill can still cause severe harm to your health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning can include paralysis and even brain damage. These long term effects can occur when people are not aware of unsafe gas appliances and the consequence of deadly gas leaks.
How do I avoid a Carbon Monoxide leak in my home?
Your home may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home.
• The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames indicate you must get your cooker checked
• Dark staining around or on appliances
• Pilot lights that frequently blow out
• Increased condensation inside windows
We would recommend a audible carbon monoxide alarm is installed.
If in the unfortunate incident that the carbon monoxide alarm activates, turn off your gas meter and appliances, ventilate the area and contact us for further advice.